Constitution and By-Laws
Constitution and Bylaws
Authors Guild of Tennessee
Name. The name of the organization shall be Authors Guild of Tennessee, hereinafter referred to as “AGT.” AGT is a nonprofit 501(3)(c) corporation for the State of Tennessee and the United States Government.
Mission. To foster the professional development of writers and to work together to promote and market our books.
Government. The officers of AGT shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer. These officers plus two (2) Members-at-Large shall constitute the Executive Board which shall have control and general management of the affairs of the organization, its funds, and physical assets. Any vacancies occurring during the year shall be appointed by the Executive Board until a replacement election can be held. If an Honorary Member is requested, she/he shall not constitute part of the quorum and will not be a voting member. To conduct business a quorum of the Executive Board shall consist of a minimum of four members.
Elections. The election of officers as well as Members-at-Large shall be every year, beginning on January 1 of the first year and ending on December 31. The Vice President shall be chair of a Nominating Committee choosing other members to make up a slate to fill open positions of the Executive Board. If an office shall be vacated during the year, the Executive Board shall recommend a member to fill the vacated office.
Membership. All applications for AGT membership must be submitted in writing to the Membership/Vetting Committee according to the procedures and requirements in this Directory.
Dues and Fees. The annual dues and fees shall be established by the Executive Board. Dues are waived for the Treasurer and Asst. Treasurer.
Meetings. General membership meetings shall be scheduled once each calendar month.
Amendments. The Executive Board may recommend amendments to the By-Laws to the general membership for approval by a simple majority.
The Executive Board shall make policies and set short- and long-term goals for AGT.
- President shall preside at meetings, formulate a vision for AGT with the assistance of the Executive Board, and represent AGT in its relations with individuals and other organizations.
- Vice-President. In the absence of the President, the Vice President shall serve in place of the President by presiding at meetings and carrying out other presidential responsibilities. Shall also serve as Chair of the Nominating Committee.
- Secretary. The secretary shall record the minutes of regularly scheduled monthly meetings, Executive Board meetings, and at special meetings if requested by the chair. On approval of the President, the minutes shall be emailed to the full membership at least two weeks prior to the next meeting. The Secretary shall send notes of condolences, congratulations, etc. to AGT members as appropriate.
- Treasurer. Shall maintain a checking account in the name of the Authors Guild of Tennessee, recording all payments and expenses and shall report at monthly meetings. Shall work with the Board, or a designated member, regarding annual and state tax reporting requirements, which includes ensuring AGT maintains a current TN Sales and Use TAx Exemption Certification.
- Assistant Treasurer. Shall fulfill the duties of the Treasurer whenever he/she is not available and assist the Treasurer whenever necessary.
- Members-At-Large. The purpose of the Members-at-large is to provide broaden representation of the membership. Shall offer advice to the Board regarding itmes on the Board’s agenda and on issues during the year.
- Executive Board: The Executive Board shall consist of the five (5) officers and two (2) Members-at-Large. The Executive Board Members shall be elected by a majority vote.
CHAIR/ COMMITTEE DUTIES:
1. Shall inform committee members about the committee’s activities at monthly meetings or by email.
2. The outgoing Chair shall meet with the incoming chair to pass on materials and to give an overview of responsibilities.
A. Events Committee.
- If organized, shall research the most promising local fairs and festivals; sign up members to participate, compute cost per person, submit application, and correspond with organizer.
- Store or secure storage for two tents, tables, display materials, and fasteners. Set up and take down all equipment at events.
- Event participants must pay their share in the time allotted by the coordinator, and ill not get a refund if unable to attend event. Coordinator’s fee to be paid by AGT, if appropriate.
B. Library Committee
- Shall establish a library of books donated by members to be loaned out to members at monthly meetings to read and review, with check-outs and check-ins recorded. Books may be borrowed for one (1) month.
C. Membership/Vetting Committee.
- Two Committee members shall examine applicant’s book(s) to determine compatibility with AGT Guidelines as outlined in this Directory.
- A Welcome Package to be given to new members with letter of acceptance.
- Chair to advise President and website coordinator of new member’s particulars, and order name tag from printer.
- If need be, Chair will send letter of rejection and return book(s) to applicant.
D. Nominating Committee.
- The Vice-President will appoint committee in November to draw up a slate of officers to be sent out in an email prio to the December monthly meeting. Winners determined by a simple majority.
- Chair and members shall arrange for programs for monthly meeting on topics related to writing or marketing.
F. Publicity Committee.
- Develop strategies to promote AGT and our authors. Keep a list of newspaper and other media outlets with contact information, placing notice of monthly meetings in Knoxville News Sentinel to invite visitors and guests.
- Visit AGT retailers on a regular basis to keep track of sales and to send net payments to Treasurer on a monthly basis.
- Re-evaluate each store to determine viability and to remove books, if advisable.
- Shall look for new stores with sales potential.
- Request non-renewing members to puck up their books from retail stores, at Faith Lutheran Church or donate said books to local libraries of to McKay’s Used Book store.
H. Training Committee.
- Chair and/or Committee to conduct training (either indicidually or as a group) in AGT website, blogging, and social media, etc.
I. Website Committee.
- Coordinator to oversee the AGT website, to keep it current and accurate. Shall be liaison between the website master and AGT. Shall facilitate payment for website expenses with AGT funds.
Criteria for AGT Membership
- Applicant must be a resident of Tennessee.
- Applicant for full membership whall provide to the Membership Committee at least one published book to review for compatibility with industry standards as identified in this document.
- Applicant for Associate membership shall provide to the Membership Committee a draft of a book in process they wish to publish. An Associate member shall enjoy all privieges and activities available to AGT members, except for the right to vote on policies or to hold office.
- Once accepted, the applicant must pay the prorated dues within 30 days. When dues are paid, the Membership chair shall contact the President and give the Website coordinator the new member’s information.
- The new member is encouraged to join a committee within 30 days, to attend monthly meetings as often as possible, and to participate in the group’s activities..
- Members are expected to read a review at least one book by another AGT author each month and post review
- To stay in good standing with AGT, a member must follow the above criteria, conform to AGT’s Constitution and Bylaws, and pay their dues on time.